Introduction to Cone-Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT) Level 1 – Core Training
The Guidance Notes for Dental Practitioners on the Safe Use of X-Ray Equipment (2nd edition) recommends there should be:
- Level 1 – Core Training required for all IRMER duty holders
- For those adequately trained to take 2D radiographs
- Limited to dento-alveolar region
- A period of 12 hours is recommended, part of which could be five hours of verifiable CPD in radiography and radiation protection
- Level 2 (further) training for operators
- Practical aspects
- Training should be provided by the installer and be specific to the unit
- Level 2 (further) training in CBCT justification and image interpretation
- Combo of training inc. hands-on with imaging software and interpretation of images
- Refresher training
- Continuing education for IRMER practitioners and operators.
- At least one of recommended five hours of verifiable CPD should be in radiology and RP should be specific to CBCT
Our course covers the CBCT Level 1 requirements for all IRMER duty holders (IRMER Referrers, IRMER Practitioners and IRMER Operators).
Course Topics Include:
- The fundamentals of 3D imaging and dental CBCT
- The principles of radiological imaging
- Radiation hazards and radiation protection
- Referral criteria for 3D imaging
- Regulations relating to dental CBCT imaging
- Appreciation of the different diagnostic yield but increased hazards presented by dental CBCT imaging in comparison with conventional 2D imaging
- Understanding how to optimise patient doses from dental CBCT for the specific imaging task and how to avoid unnecessary exposure
- Recognition of 3D anatomy sufficiently to correctly localise both small and large volume CBCT scans and to make an initial assessment of the image to confirm correct positioning and diagnostic value (e.g., freedom of artefacts etc.), limited to imaging of the dento-alveolar region
Important! Prior to booking this course, it is required that you first attend IRS’s ‘Introduction to Radiation Protection in Dental Radiography (Non-CBCT) and IR(ME)R 17’ Course.
Spaces are currently available here: https://www.irs-limited.com/product/radiation-protection-in-dental-radiography-non-cbct-irmer17/
Please note, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, this is an online course only at present using MS Teams. We hope to return to in-person courses at the IRS offices soon.
This course is charged at £206 (ex. VAT) per delegate.
For more information about IRS’s RPA services, please visit our Sector Services page or, to speak to one of our team, please contact us here.